Saturday, January 2, 2010

Creativity is Harder than Expected but I'm Tryin'





It has been almost three months since we left NY and we still have 2.5 cheese visits to report on. I have found that sitting down at the computer and reporting somewhat creatively about our cheese adventures has proven more difficult then expected. Motivation comes in putting spurts! I am moderately motivated now but when I look back on our notes, I have a hard time reading Darren's handwriting. For this posting I will give you a heads up on the remaining posts to come in addition to an into the other aspects of this blog (which are included in it's title) such as the trials and tribulations of starting a family business, and our first cheese and wine catering gig!


Our last two plus visits landed us in Colorado, first at Jumpin' Good Goat Dairy in Buena Vista, CO. Then in Durango, CO with Becca and and Dan James at James Ranch. After Colorado we high tailed it to Utah for a loose appointment with the owners of Beehive Cheese Co. in Uintah, Utah. I guess it was too loose of an appointment since when we arrive neither cheesemakers were there. We were, however, greeted nicely by the young woman running their store. Since we bought some cheese at the store I thought we should at least review our experience, so I deemed it half a visit.

Since arriving in San Francisco, we have finished our business plan (minus that darn balance sheet), sent it to several potential investors, decided that our initial location is yuck and we are reconsidering our site options and dreading redoing the whole demographic section, have attended a seminar on commercial real estate leasing, are planning on taking a series of bookkeeping classes, and have catered our first "unofficial" cheese and wine event. Darren has also gotten a job at Quince as their new Maitre'd, and I am still unemployed! Weird that I can't carve away a few hours (or days) to finish what we started!
Have I mentioned that we have spent half our savings buying cheese since arriving?


We have had some awesome experiences with the cheese-workers and mongers of the bay area in such cheese shops like The Pasta Shop, The Cheese Board, and Cheese Plus. The day before our catering event we were scouring these shops for the perfect cheeses and ended up talking cheese most of the day, not bothered by our dwindling yet precious prep time. The wine and cheese event went off without a hitch for the most part. Darren had to work so I hired my little sister to be the waitress while I prepped all the food and such. And I have learned a great lesson. People are hard to peg! The cheese that I thought the peeps at the party would like the least, was indeed the favorite. This cheese I am referring to is a favorite of many, Vacherin Mont d'or.

Christmas gifts this year were cheese and wine centric (OF COURSE!) A Raclette Grill with the additional granite stone (which we were turned onto at Meadow Creek Dairy), several bottles of fine vino, the book Mastering Cheese by Max Mccalman , and about 5 other books on wine. Also our (but really my) very first piece of Le Creuset. A heafty light green, almost limey, dutch oven. My next piece? Terrine mold!

We have our work cut out for us for 2010! Our new year's resolution to drop ten pounds and limit the alcohol intake is always thwarted by our passion for such delectable, intriguing, taste bud bursting, gotta have more now, and just plain awesome dairy, grape, and meat products! Here's to the everlasting 10!




2 comments:

  1. DCR and Liana! Hoo-ray for you two! Keep up the good work. By the way, I had a guy come in to DT and tell me that he met you at a wine shop - a talkative fellow - but very nice. If you get a chance, stop by and see my friends Martin and Megan at Gary Danko. Martin is the Chef de Cuisine and Megan is a Runner. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Gary Danko is at THE top of our SF restaurants to go to. Thanks! I know specifically who you are talking about. We were at a local wine shop and we were eavesdropping and heard he was going to NY. We provided him with a list of our faves and DT is always at the top. We will definitely be coming to dine when we visit. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete